So back in January, I learnt I had a tubo-ovarian abscess, and there was a plan to treat. I had 3 weeks of 2 types of antibiotics, and then a week after they finished, I went for a scan of Madame O. The antibiotics had done nothing. Not a thing. Zilch. Nada. For my ovary anyway. Did wonders for my skin!
So I got admitted for IV antibiotics, overnight. Had to insist I was kept for no longer, because it was my birthday the next day! So IV antibiotics, and then another 4 weeks of the 2 types of antibiotics. Then back for another scan and see if they’d worked.
Good news was that they had done something. But I still had the same low key pain. So I got sent for another CT scan. This could be up to 6 weeks. I think I got a date inside 4 weeks. A couple of days beforehand, I sat down on my bed, and my back went. This also meant I had a rather undignified dismount off the CT scanner 😂
CT scan showed that the abscess had shrunk, but the bowel had decided to geg in on the action, and my right ureter. It was getting messy in there, and we needed other consultants. My consultant at the Women’s – I *love* her so much. She’s fabulous. She may not be involved now.
So on 27/7/2021, I had an outpatients appointment with colorectal surgery, and I’ve been told I won’t get better without surgery. It’s all a bit of a mess in the pelvic area, but we won’t know how much of a mess till I get opened up. I need 3 surgeons from the different disciplines to do the op together. It is major surgery, most likely open, rather than keyhole.
The scariest part, for me, is that there is a 50/50 chance I will end up with a stoma after this surgery. They will do their very best to avoid it, but the risk is there. Madame Ovary and her tube will go, and a section of bowel, which they will try to join. If not….. stoma.
Judging by the text I received telling me I’ve got a covid test booked, I’m expecting the op to be early September. I just hope I can be on the good side of 50/50.